Pellotsaari Island

Pellotsaari Island used to be a traditional place to visit on the way to Valaam Island. The island was well-known as a ‘green stop’ on the route to Konevets Island and Valaam Island located about 60 km (Konevets) and 30 km (Valaam) far from Pellotsaari.

When Pellotsaari Island belonged to Finland, there was a stop for mooring two- to four-deck barges there. The ship terminal and wharf are located on the eastern shore of the island, where the depth by the shore is up to 40 meters, which makes it possible for the big ships to moor.          

Pellotsaari Pellotsaari Pellotsaari

 

Pellotsaari is an island represented by a great variety of landscapes, flora and fauna. The landscapes and vegetation of the island are mostly due to the effect of the glacier that withdrew from Priladozhye about 10,000 to 20,000 years ago, after which some vegetation appeared, animals migrated and the man settled in the end.

Up to the XVth century the man hadn’t affected the environment to a great extent, as his key crafts were fishing and hunting. Farming and cattle breeding started developing in the XVIth century to give rise to a plenty of open spaces (farmland) and bring in new plant and animal species. Most intensively the area of Priladozhye was brought under cultivation in the XVIIth through XIX centuries. The availability of small quarries on the island, which were a witness to quartz mining done by the locals, was its unique feature.

After the Winter War of 1939-1940, the Finnish population of the Northern Priladozhye, which was retroceded to the USSR, was evacuated to Finland. In 1942, when the territories were returned to be a part of Finland during World War II (1941-1944), the Finnish population came back for a while, to finally leave for Finland in 1944.

In the south-west of the island there are still some basements of the houses of Finnish, Swedish, and Russian families who had lived on the island until the middle of the XXth century; those are basements of household outbuildings, ruins of some buildings, fragments of fences, reclamative ditches, settings of some plant species. The rest of the island’s territory has been gradually reviving its initial taiga outlook: the farmland is getting overgrown, the roads are shading away. The forest structure is restoring, rare species of plants, lichens, and mosses are recovering, which cannot stand continuous man’s impact.

On Pellotsaari Island you can see virgin nature landscapes altered due to household activity. Nowadays the taiga forest is restoring after the human impact has been ceased.